What is a Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG)?
VSQGs generate in a calendar month:
- No more than 220 lbs. (100kg) of non-acute hazardous waste
- No more than 220 lbs. (100 kg) of acute spill cleanup residue
- No more than 2.2 lbs. (1 kg) of acute hazardous waste
There are three basic management rules to follow to remain at the VSQG generator level.
- Identify all the hazardous wastes that you generate and count it monthly
- At any one time, accumulate no more than
- 2,200 lbs. (1,000 kg) non-acute hazardous waste,
- 220 lbs. (100 kg) acute spill cleanup residue
- 2.2 lbs. (1 kg) acute hazardous waste
- Ensure delivery of your hazardous waste is to one of the following types of off-site treatment or disposal facility
- A state or federally regulated hazardous waste treatment, storage, or disposal facility
- A facility permitted, licensed, or registered by a state to manage municipal or industrial solid waste
- A facility that uses, reuses, or legitimately recycles the waste or treats the waste prior to use, reuse, or recycling
VSQGs are now allowed to take advantage of the Episodic Generation provision. This provision allows a one time generation over the VSQG limits for a planned generation such as a clean out or an unplanned generation such as a spill. The VSQG is required to notify the state and obtain an EPA ID Number. If you would like to know more about this newly adopted provision, contact us.
While there are fewer regulations to follow, VSQGs must still manage hazardous wastes in a manner that minimizes exposure of hazardous wastes to soil, water, and air. EPA’s Managing Your Hazardous Waste: A Guide for Small Businesses provides some important tips.
It makes good business sense to limit the amounts of hazardous wastes generated. Employing pollution prevention techniques , implementing sustainability practices such as designing waste out of production , or using non-hazardous materials in your processes will lower your waste costs and minimize the amounts of hazardous wastes generated. There are many resources available to you.
Contact us so we can help you find the best resources for your business.